Housing and Shelter Programs:

Emergency financial assistance is offered to income-qualified individuals who are residents of Darke, Greene, Montgomery, or Preble County. The assistance is necessary to solve an immediate, urgent, and short-term needs and will move individuals/families to greater self-sufficiency. Case management will be provided for all emergency service customers to help customers identify and overcome the barriers that prevent economic self-sufficiency and make referrals to partner agencies.

Areas of assistance include:

  • Housing – assistance for shelter, back-rent, security deposits/ first month rent, and move-in costs for those transitioning into permanent housing from homelessness, eviction prevention, or temporary shelter if other emergency housing is unavailable.
  • Utility Assistance – Residential utility bill payment, including water, for those facing shut-off, have no service, or to pay an arrearage in order to establish new service.
  • Transportation – Helping individuals minimize barriers to employment and access to other critical services by providing transportation assistance in the form of minor car repairs. Car repairs must be for the purpose of employment; applicants must have proof of ownership, registration and insurance must be in the client’s name. Other urgent needs determined on a case-by-case basis, such as essential home furnishings for those transitioning into permanent housing, emergency medical/dental/and prescription needs not covered by insurance.


Emergency Services

– Rental/Late fee Assistance
– Water

Utility Assistance

– Gas
– Electric
– Bulk fuel

Legal Clinic

– Eviction Assistance/Tenant Issues
– Driver’s License Reinstatement
– Criminal Record Issue

NOTICE: Requesting or Submitting an Application for our Services does not make you a client of the MVCAP Legal Clinic.


You should pay your rent if you can!

Do you need assistance paying rent?

If you are concerned about being evicted during this time, click here for available resources.


You should pay your mortgage if you can!

If you cannot pay your mortgage, call your mortgage servicer and let them know that your employment or income has been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Most servicers are offering at least a six-month forbearance of mortgage payments, allowing a temporary suspension of payments until homeowners are able to return to work. Foreclosures have been suspended for at least 60 days for government insured mortgages.

The HomeOwnership Center of Greater Dayton has partnered with Montgomery County to help local homeowners who have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Mortgage Assistance Program helps homeowners to catch up on their mortgage and ultimately avoid foreclosure.