For ALL programs, you must provide:

  • Social Security cards of all household members. If a member does not have a Social Security card, a birth certificate is needed. If you have recently applied for a card, an official letter from the Social Security office with the number printed on it and stating that your card is in process is acceptable.
  • Proof of citizenship for everyone in the household. Acceptable documents include: birth certificates, voter registration cards, U.S. passports, INS form I-94, or a military service record.
  • Current gas and/or electric bills – must be in the name of a household member.
  • Landlord’s name, address, phone number and monthly rent amount, if applicable.
  • Income information for the past 30 days for all household members over 18, even if they are still in school. This includes check stubs, Social Security and, in some cases, child support. For a complete list of income that must be counted click here.
    • Individuals paid weekly need the last 4 paystubs.
    • Individuals paid bi-weekly need 2 to 3 paystubs (Check your dates to make sure all of the last 30 days are included).
    • Individuals paid semi-monthly need 2 paystubs.
    • Individuals paid month need 1 paystub.
    • If paystubs are not available, you will need verification of your income from your employer (a print out of the last 30 days of pay).
    • Seasonal employees must provide 12 months of income documentation. Click here for a form.
    • If you are self-employed, you must submit your most recent IRS 1040 form with Schedule 1 and Schedule C (entire document).
  • Any household member claiming zero income must provide documentation of how they are meeting their needs. This can include an IRS Tax Transcript, SNAP printouts, letters of support or an affidavit. Click here for a Zero Income Form. To get a Tax Transcript, visit You can also call the IRS at 1-800-908-3346 if you filed a return. If you did not file a return, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

For the Summer Crisis Program ONLY, you may need to provide a medical statement if you are applying because you have a condition worsened by extreme heat. It can be on your doctor’s letterhead or prescription pad or MVCAP can provide a form.

Please note, after reviewing your documents, MVCAP may request additional information to complete your application.