During tax-filing season, income-eligible Dayton-area residents are reminded to take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC) as a way to boost refunds on federal tax returns. Many workers overlook these tax benefits because they simply don’t know about them.
Community Action Partnership will provide free tax preparation assistance at 36 Van Cleeve St. in Dayton (behind the Montgomery County office at 719 S. Main St.) and at 708 E. Main St. in Trotwood, next door to the agency’s Youth Empowerment Center. The EITC is a refundable tax credit available to workers earning less than about $50,000 from wages, self-employment or farming in 2015. Many people may qualify for the first time due to changes in their income, marital status or parental status.
The CTC is available to workers earning more than $3,000 with children. A qualifying child must be under age 17.
“The Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit can make a real difference for families who are struggling to make ends meet,” said John T. Donnellan, President & CEO of the Community Action Partnership of the Greater Dayton Area. “The EITC is one of the nation’s largest and most effective anti-poverty programs. In 2013, the EITC and CTC lifted 9.4 million people out of poverty, more than half of them children.”
At Community Action Partnership and other tax sites, IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers work one-on-one with families and individuals to help file their tax returns and ensure that they receive the tax credits for which they qualify. In addition, some sites can direct their customers to no-fee bank accounts, credit repair services or financial education classes.
Appointments will be made Monday through Thursday at the Dayton office and Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at the Youth Empowerment Center.
Customers should bring the following to their appointment:

  • 2015 tax return;
  • Photo ID;
  • All W-2 forms for wages earned in 2015;
  • Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for the worker and all persons in the family included on the tax return;
  • Social Security Number or Employer ID Number and address for any child care expenses in 2015. Bring payment documentation for the total amount paid the provider and the amount paid for each child;
  • Any correspondence received from the IRS in 2015 and 1098 and 1099 forms (if any);
  • Savings and/or checking account numbers if the refund is to be deposited directly into a bank account;
  • Married persons filing jointly must both be present in order to process the tax return.

For more information or to make an appointment, contact Alison Vaught at alisonv@cap-dayton.org or call (937) 341-5000 ext. 138.