If you need help filing your taxes, you don’t have to pay a high fee or take out a costly loan. Free income tax preparation assistance for 2009 state and federal taxes is available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA).
The Community Action Partnership (CAP) and several other local agencies will offer free tax preparation help for families with a household income under $40,000. Trained and certified VITA volunteers, many trained at the CAP offices, make sure individuals and families claim every credit they are entitled to receive.
Some may be eligible for the new “Making Work Pay” credit, which could be worth up to $400. For faster refunds, VITA volunteers can file tax forms electronically with refunds deposited directly into a checking or savings account.
“Last year, the VITA coalition saw customers at ten sites in the community,” said Debra Davenport, Community Action Partnership’s Volunteer Coordinator for the VITA program. “We filed 3,266 total returns with a refund value of $4,224,831. This included 1,227 EITC customers who received credits totaling $1,770,938. The total number of returns with the child tax credit was 466, with a value of $542,451.”
To receive free tax-filing services, you must provide the following information:

  • A copy of the 2008 tax return, if available.
  • Social Security numbers and cards for the taxpayer and anyone being claimed as a dependent. A picture ID is also needed. Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) or other legal documents proving identification also qualify.
  • W-2 forms from all jobs.
  • 1099 forms for any other income.
  • Statements received from a mortgage company during 2009.
  • Any IRS notices received during 2009.
  • Workers with Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) should bring the ITIN sent to them by the IRS. Workers need either an ITIN or a Social Security Number to claim the Child Tax Credit.

Beginning Monday, Jan. 11, tax filers may call the Community Action Partnership office at (937) 341-5000 to schedule an appointment at the Montgomery County office, 719 S. Main Street in Dayton, the satellite office at 1912 Needmore Rd., or the Youth Empowerment Center, 716 E. Main Street in Trotwood.