Through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, income-eligible individuals and families living in Montgomery County can receive free tax preparation of the 2014 federal and state tax returns. Community Action Partnership of the Greater Dayton Area will provide this service at their offices at 719 S. Main St. and 5250-A N. Dixie Dr. in Dayton and at the Youth Empowerment Center, 716 E. Main St. in Trotwood.
VITA is provided by the Dayton Area Earned Income Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit (EITC/CTC) Coalition. Partners include Community Action Partnership, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, the city of Dayton, and local organizations and agencies. In 2014, Community Action Partnership helped more than 856 customers file their taxes with returns totaling $1,177,359.
“The Earned Income Tax Credit is a tax benefit for working people and their families and it allows more dollars to flow into our community,” said John T. “Tim” Donnellan, President & CEO of the Community Action Partnership of the Greater Dayton Area. “It’s money workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills. We want workers who may qualify for EITC to have all the information they need to get the EITC.”
At Community Action Partnership and other tax sites, IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers work one-on-one with families and individuals to help file their tax returns and ensure that they receive the tax credits for which they qualify. In addition, some sites can direct their customers to no-fee bank accounts, credit repair services or financial education classes.
Tax assistance is available at Community Action Partnership beginning Tuesday, Jan. 20. Customers should bring the following to their appointment:

  • A valid driver’s license or other photo ID card;
  • Social Security cards, a Social Security number verification letter of individual taxpayer identifying number (ITIN) for all persons listed on the return;
  • Birth dates for all persons listed on the return;
  • All income statements, such as W-2 and 1099 forms, Social Security and unemployment income, investment income and any documents showing taxes withheld, and income earned from a business or farm;
  • Expense records, such as tuition, mortgage interest, real estate taxes and expenses from a business or farm;
  • Copies of last year’s federal and state tax returns, if applicable;
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit refunds;
  • Dependent child care provider’s name, address and Social Security or Tax Identification number;
  • If spouses are filing jointly, both must sign forms in order to e-file their tax return.

To make an appointment, call (937) 341-5000 ext. 161.